Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Names and What They Mean

For me coming up with the name of a character is one of the exciting and most important parts of their development.

I usually go to baby name books or ancient scriptures to find my names:


Here is a list of character names and why I choose them:

Scotlyn: Originally this name was Scotland. I found in my personal genealogy research that I had many ancestors who were kings and queens. Most of them were from the Celtic isles.

The masculine form of Scotlyn is Scott. It means “From Scotland.” This is a symbol of her heritage.

Cyrus: I got this name from the Bible. Cyrus the Great was a king who led his armies into battle and concerned Babylon. He did a lot of great things for the world. Babylon is a symbol for the world. I though it was appropriate since my Cyrus is destined to become a king much overcome the world.

Hazella Lamia the witch: I thought of Witch Hazel. I know, so silly. All witches seem to have an ‘a’ at the end of there name so I added the ‘a’. In mythology Lamia is a female phantom who frightened children.

Cassi the pixie: When I was developing the pixie character Cassi (my cat) kept interrupting me. She climbed in my kitchen cupboards and started knocking out cans of food. I guess she was hungry. Then she pranced in front of my computer screen wanting attention. Her personality was so fun that I incorporated many of my cat’s traits and her name into the pixie.

Hannah: Bible

Jeremiah: Bible

King Hilkiah: Bible

Poseidon: Emperor of the sea from mythology.

Anthea the fairy queen.: Her name means “flowery”.

Asherah, the mermaid: Her name means “she who walks on the sea”.

Ruburt the dwarf: I found this name in a dwarven encyclopedia. LOL. Seriously.

Jacob and Rachel: I love this Bible romance story and wanted to have a couple by the name of Jacob and Rachel. I thought these names fit since they were given the task of gathering twelve tribes.

Maryweather: My favorite fairy from Disney’s Sleeping Beauty. Although in my book she is a laundry maid and VERY different from the Disney character.

Leah: Bible

Fredrick: A medieval name I researched and liked.

Lyrad: ‘Daryl’ spelled backwards.

Selustis: A morphed name meaning “dark lust”

Erebus: A mythological place of darkness on the way to Hades.

Woldor the wise dragon: a morphed form of “Wold”. Wold is an ancient name that means from the upper lands. This is appropriate since my dragon live high in the mountains.

Alamar: is a Spanish name that means “to the sea.”

For me, naming a character is an important way for me to connect to them.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar