Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Get In The Yellow Footprints, Maggot!


Going Up The Grim Reaper, 2nd Phase, Spring 1995.

Me in the back row, with the "Railroad Tracks" across my chest. Yup, I was a diet recruit, a fatbody. I lost 40 pounds at Boot.

Ah, Back When I was Young and Beautiful...

15 years ago, way back in the 20th century, I was a quivering mass of goo, finding myself being yelled at by very intense gentlemen calling themselves "Drill Instructors," and calling me "Maggot," "Nasty One," and "God-Dang Recruit."

"Lurch," "Tall One," and "Encyclopedia" were also treasured monikers with which I was christened by these persons. It was an intense 3 months, but it reforged me. If you're of the age and disposition, I highly recommend the experience. You'll never look at life the same.

It seems very long ago, half a lifetime away. I reported for Marine Corps recruit training March 20th, 1995. I'm sure there are guys who I went through who are now Gunnery Sergeants, Master Sergeants, and First Sergeants, and my drill instructors are surely now all retired. Tonight, I raise a beer to you, gents .

Best,
John Bear Ross
CPL, 0331, 1995-2001

My Drill Instructors:
SSGT F.K. Summerill, Senior Drill Instructor
SGT W.H. Eskola, Drill Instructor
SGT C. Lewis, Drill Instructor
SGT J.S. Yates, Drill Instructor

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar